Monday, November 30, 2009

Appearance Counts

For some reason, between 1920 to 1930, Japan decided to model their school uniforms after European uniforms. The boys all wore military style uniforms, where the girls wore a sailor outfit (anyone familiar with Sailor Moon?). It may surprise you that these uniforms have changed very little. Everything from the shoes to the gym cloths are standardized in all Japanese schools. One thing I really have to laugh at is how Japanese students find sneaky ways around these authoritarian outfits. Teachers are very strict about students wearing their neckties properly, not wearing any makeup, and making sure their shirts are properly tucked in. Hair color is also not to be changed. Despite these desperate attempts to make students more responsible and prepare them for the outside world through constant reminders of dress and the immediate removal of any possible makeup on female students, students are still able to let a bit of their personality seep through with the clever ways of working around the school uniforms. I’ve never seen so many different colors and styles of socks in my life! Everything from rainbow ankle toe socks, to socks that go above and beyond the knees. Many students try to hide their colorful fancy belts with their German blazers, and it’s not hard to see the hard rock cafĂ© t-shirts through the translucent white dress shirts. I’ve even seen some student’s hair grow a whole two feet from the day before! Teachers of course are to be models for proper dress conduct. With all the very somber colors that exist in the schools, I must be hurting peoples eyes with my yellow, green and blue dress shirts matched with orange, purple and red neck ties, the vibrant red Canadian neck tie from dollarama being the students favorite. The earring that I have in the top left ear is of course removed, yet there are times, depending on where I’m standing, where the light from the window shines through the hole, which students just have to examine! What I really love is when both teachers and students call me on something that’s out of line on my wardrobe. I’ve had several students and teachers adjust my collar for me, and even had one of the home economics teacher get me to stand up out of my chair so she could cut the strings that were connecting the back flaps of my suit jacket. How did she know?! Appearance seems to be everything in Japan. What kind of impression do the other teachers have of me I wonder?

No comments:

Post a Comment